LCA International Mission is a department of the Lutheran Church of Australia tasked with the responsibility of supporting overseas partner churches in their local mission and ministry. We walk along side our partner churches in order to encourage, support and resource local people as they bear witness to the hope they have in Christ. We also seek to listen to and learn from our partners so that the mission and ministry of the LCA may be enhanced through the experience and wisdom of our partners.
Acknowledging the witness of scripture that ‘faith comes from hearing…the word of Christ’ (Romans 10:17, John 17:20, Gal 2:2,5), LCA International Mission seeks to equip and empower our overseas partner churches in the proclamation of the word of Christ in their own context and in so doing, make disciples of all nations. LCA International Mission also encourages congregations and Districts of the LCA to join us in this endeavour.
Vision and how we work
We seek to work together with and through domestic and international partners to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
As we engage in God’s mission:
- Theologically grounded: We uphold the teachings and confessions of the Lutheran Church of Australia (LCA).
- Holistic and reciprocal relationships: We engage with our partners in a Gospel-centred, holistic manner (involving proclamation, response to human need and capacity building), valuing relational, mutually respectful, interdependent, and culturally sensitive modes of interaction.
- Collaboration and openness: We seek to communicate openly and work collaboratively with other Lutheran organisations and departments to enhance strategies and projects. We are open opportunities to work together with other Christian Churches and organisations in Australia and the Asia Pacific.
- Innovation and creativity: We reflect on God’s creativity and value ways of working that are innovative, imaginative, vibrant, youthful, practical and creative.
- Culture of care: We seek to build a culture of caring for one another and all those we serve, characterised by humility, integrity, and zero tolerance for discrimination and abuse.
- Growing capacity: We seek to understand and engage sensitively with our partner churches, supporting them so that they can continue to build their leadership and social capacity. We are cognisant of and guided by local priorities and seek to foster organic growth that is driven by local needs and priorities.
- Reflective practice: We will continue to reflect upon our work in order to identify and understand our limitations and challenges, and build upon our strengths and successes. We seek to demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow.